Africa Day, which was formerly known as African Freedom Day and African Liberation Day, is the commemoration of the founding of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU), now known as the African Union. The OAU was founded 25 May 1963, when 30 of 32 free African States signed the OAU Founding Charter in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
This is in line with the AU’s theme “African Union Agenda 2063 – an integrated, prosperous and peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the international arena.” Agenda 2063 is a joint African roadmap for continental development.
“Africa has her mysteries and even a wise man cannot understand them. But a wise man respects them.”
-Miriam Makeba (South African singer and civil rights activist)
African unity matters because our fate is connected, no African country can prosper if the rest of Africa is not developing and prospering equally. Africa has 1,2 billion and is so diverse, with most countries having diverse languages, religions and cultures. And whilst Africa grapples with poverty, inequality and corruption, there are many reasons to be proud to be African, my top reasons are:
- Diversity. Africa has a rich representation of cultures, food, languages, histories and music, which although diverse actually unite us, an African feels at home in any African country.
- We love colour! Our fashion, our design is bold and colourful. I believe our love for loud colours is indicative of our natural soulfulness and happiness.
- Deep history, we have a beautiful history marked by amazing advancements in science, astrology and architecture and general wisdom. Think of the Mandigo Empire (Mali) year 1230; Wagadu Empire (Ghana) year 830; Mapungubwe (Zimbabwe) year 1100; pyramids and empires of Egypt and Sudan.
- Africa has the most beautiful natural wonders, the “7 Natural Wonders of Africa” are the Serengeti Migration in Tanzania and Kenya; the Ngorongoro Crater and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania; The Nile River that runs through 10 African countries; Okavango Delta in Botswana; the Sahara Desert that goes through 11 countries; and the Red Sea Reef in Egypt, Sudan and Eritrea. The Victoria Falls in Zambia and Zimbabwe is one of the “7 Natural Wonders of the World.” So get started traveling our vast continent.
- Africa has the most amazing beaches and weather for all year holidaying. From the East coast to the West coast, Africa has the most beautiful beaches and holidays for every budget.
- Our beautiful melanin skin and coily hair! I find Africans to be so beautiful.